Black News Channel is looking for a smart, creative, and enterprising Associate Producer with strong research skills and solid writing experience. The ideal candidate will have strong of journalistic standards, keen attention to detail, and excellent newsgathering skills. This role is responsible for producing live interview segments as well as writing and producing day-of-air tape packages. The ideal candidate will have field experience and experience working with high-profile guests. They must also have a strong mastery of visual graphics and elements to support such interviews. Duties include assisting our newscast and digital content producers in planning daily news coverage, editing video for newscasts and writing for our TV newscasts and digital platforms, and our social media platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- 4+ years TV news experience
- Strong editorial judgement and excellent writing skills
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Understanding of newsgathering and transmission technology
- Strong research skills and familiarity with public and private records databases
- Looks for innovative approaches to improve newsroom systems for newsgathering
- Identifies daily stories that will impact the Black audience
- The ability to serve backup line producer is a plus
- Fosters a culture of teamwork, respect and inclusion
Requirements & Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of experience in newsgathering and/or news production
- Minimum 2 years of experience in digital news management role
- B.A. degree or equivalent in areas such as Journalism & Communications, or related field
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, Genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees our team members an expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at anytime. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.