The Black News Channel, LLC (BNC) is looking for a Broadcast & IT Support Engineer. The Broadcast & IT Support Engineer must possess the expert-level knowledge and experience necessary to perform maintenance, installation, and occasional board and/or component level repair of broadcast and IT equipment in both studio and outside broadcast facilities in a fast-paced news environment. The successful candidate will have a strong baseline knowledge of IT and data networking required to work in an increasingly IP and IT-centric broadcast/multimedia infrastructure in addition to the ability to serve as a lead and mentor to other engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide facility-based support as well as support for outside broadcast facilities & productions/events as needed.
- Assist with the maintenance of Electronic Newsgathering (ENG) crew gear (will be a shared responsibility with the field engineering team).
- Analyze and solve complex technical problems,
- Collaborate with team members and other support groups to troubleshoot and resolve issues with broadcast/multimedia production systems and computers in our production environments.
- Document reported issues/requests and escalate as needed for problem management and resolution via our in-house service management system(s).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Sample Coverage Areas:
- Technical spaces (control rooms, studios, terminal gear/equipment/central apparatus/distribution riser rooms and data centers) and
- Associated production systems (A/V routing, signal processing, cameras, switchers, audio mixers, intercom, encoders/encoding, feeds/edit systems, master control, automation and transmission systems, etc.)
Requirements & Skills:
- 2 or 4 year technical degree, preferably electronics or computer engineering (or equivalent
- 6+ years of experience in television, multimedia content, IT client service or broadcast maintenance capacity, with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair broadcast and computer equipment at the board level.
- Attainment of Microsoft network certification, Software programming skills (HTML, V.B., C++, etc) Autocad, MS Office Suite, Visio experience a plus.
- Wide knowledge of computer desktop hardware/applications, data networking and/or process design/re-engineering.
- Experience with television or multimedia production workflows.
- Competency with basic server, networking topology and operating systems (e.g., Windows, Unix, etc.)
- Must be willing to be on call for coverage of critical technical systems.
- Ability to work independently and manage workload & work-flow in a team-based environment is a must.
- Able to work weekends, overnights and holidays.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, Genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.