BNC is looking for a dynamic Communications Manager to join its newly established Integrated Communications team. This role will be responsible for promoting the network and driving viewership through earned media channels and managing announcements and events surrounding programming, talent, business affairs, marketing, brand experiences, and executive visibility.
The Communications Manager will proactively seek out opportunities to publicize the network’s programming across the traditional and digital media landscape and generate stories that positively affect BNC and its business objectives. In addition to crafting creative press materials, internal announcements, and marketing/advertising copy, this position will also provide communications support throughout the organization.
Writing and copy-editing assignments will cover a wide range, as will the results-driven responsibilities that come along with producing a cadence of story placements and impactful publicity. Are you passionate about the news media and BNC’s mission to inform, entertain and empower Black and Brown communities? If so, this may be the opportunity for you!
- Manage external and internal communications activity, including media relations, publicity, community affairs, executive thought leadership, strategic messaging and creative development.
- Create and edit key communications materials including announcements, press releases, media alerts, executive messaging, Q&A, speeches, program descriptions, articles, bios and marketing/advertising copy.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with the media and conduct ongoing outreach to build network of contacts and secure positive coverage surrounding BNC and its brands.
- Manage media inquiries and act as a liaison between talent, executives and various divisions with regards to communications and public relations matters.
- Maintain key press lists, editorial calendars, and festival/event calendars for the department.
- Collaborate cross-functionally regarding relevant internal and external events/opportunities, communication tactics and systems/processes that lead to synergies, thus benefitting the larger company.
- Develop, organize and manage internal repository of Integrated Communications tools and assets.
- Collaborate with the Digital team to manage the Press / Media section of the company website in order to optimize access to network logos, images and other press materials.
- Partner with teams across BNC as well as outside agencies to provide communications support and innovative strategies that drive viewership and strengthen consumer engagement, editorial, marketing, brand experiences and programming initiatives.
- Work with the Vice President of Integrated Communications to create a voice and form guidelines for messaging to build well-defined, consistent communications in the marketplace and throughout the organization.
- Manage the corporate communications budget and serve as liaison with the finance team.
Qualifications/Requirements Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years of experience in communications or media relations (TV news/ entertainment strongly preferred).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV, cover letter and a professional writing sample to be considered.
- Willingness to monitor prime time programming and work on weekends, sometimes with short notice.
- Ability to operate at a high level while working remotely and travel when necessary.
- Established relationships with media across both consumer and trade outlets.
- Familiarity with the current TV and digital media landscape and historical context.
- Must have work authorization to work in the United States.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills with AP style proficiency.
- A creative and critical thinker, who can develop and advance innovative ideas.
- Skillful and efficient writer who is equally at ease penning releases for journalists and advertising copy for consumers.
- An optimistic and solution-oriented team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter with time integrity who can work independently and remain calm in a fast pace environment under tight deadlines.
- Careful attention to detail and high standards of quality.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to seamlessly manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A passion for news programming and BNC’s mission to positively impact the media landscape.
- A results-driven mindset with a high level of accountability.
- Ability to exercise a high level of discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- A professional who can confidently interface with talent, members of the media and executives.
- Ability to manage agencies and freelance staffers as necessary.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and is the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is also a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic and social discourse. The network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to BNC’s overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the Black News Channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and/or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or VP of Human Resources.