Black News Channel is looking for a highly motivated and creative Director for the Network’s platform content production.
The ideal candidate must love newsgathering and understand how to reach audiences on different platforms. The position provides editorial direction, leadership, and motivation in the generation of story ideas and production of a compelling news product. The Director will be a solid leader in the newsroom and be current on news trends for existing and emerging platforms. The ideal candidate must be able to effectively plan a news strategy, while still being able to coordinate breaking news, weather and large event coverage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for originating, creating and producing for special series, regional news specials and investigative stories with all the news team creates content that is aligned with and enhances the BNC brand.
- Create & implement strategic plans for audience growth and newsroom operations.
- Must be a savvy in news production, leveraging the web, OTT, and all social platforms to make sure that local audiences receive and share the stories generated by our newsroom.
- Communicate a compelling and inspired vision consistent with company strategy.
- Analyze and respond to trends affecting the industry and the African American community.
- Work closely with the Director of News Operation to develop and attain departmental and station goals.
- Ability to adapt current resources to emerging technology.
- Must be proficient in coaching reporters and on-air talent.
- Must have a deep understanding of Digital and Social Media platform for best practices for local journalism.
- Looks for innovative approaches to improve newsroom systems for newsgathering
- Identifies daily stories that will impact the Black audience
- Fosters a culture of teamwork, respect and inclusion
- Perform other duties as assigned to drive audience and fulfill the Network’s editorial and financial goals.
Requirements & Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of experience in newsgathering and/or news production
- Minimum 2 years of experience in digital news management role
- B.A. degree or equivalent in areas such as Journalism & Communications, or related field
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, Genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.