The Black News Channel is looking for a Director of Product Management to turn product vision into a reality. The Director of Product Management will define the strategic vision of BNC’s web and mobile products, value proposition, go-to-market strategy, product roadmap, and features to build and deliver BNC’s product experience. This position will report to the Senior Director of Digital Content and work closely with partners, engineers, and other colleagues to define platform requirements; prioritize requirements based on business goals and platform metrics; and deliver top-notch experiences to our users. The Director will own the digital product roadmap for the Black News Channel as well as the relationship with our app development platform partners and vendors.
- Own web & mobile products within the BNC's product suite alongside mobile, platform services, and data technology.
- Responsible for defining and delivering on the vision, taking full responsibility for the roadmap, user experience, visual design, software delivery, and ongoing enhancements.
- Own and lead product initiatives through the full product lifecycle, from ideation to development, launch, maintenance, and next-phase planning.
- Ensure consistency between BNC products and uphold the BNC brand.
- Provide clear vision to support UX design and technical development including but not limited to scope documentation, use cases, workflows, wireframes, etc.
- Improve customer experience, help drive revenue, and develop operational efficiencies through research of market trends, competitive analysis, ideation, product positioning, objectives and metrics, and overall market strategy and collaborative development.
- Find new ways to attract and engage our audience.
- Collaborate with developers, designers, and partners to implement and manage product releases; direct QA efforts; and to grow ongoing third-party relationships.
- Maintain a roadmap and regularly review with partners gather, analyze, and prioritize input from users, the network, and other stakeholders, and synthesize them into a clear and justifiable set of product requirements.
- Operate both independently and as part of a broader team; balance multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in a results-oriented environment.
- 5+ years in digital product management, preferably with a news network or media platform.
- Comfortable drafting detailed product requirements - from business goals to product definitions, to wireframes, to specs for developers.
- Savvy in both business and technical requirements with the ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a partner ecosystem and bring disparate experiences to life through web and/or mobile properties.
- Exceptional attention to detail and an eye for experience and design.
- Experience running a product across all phases of its lifecycle, from conception through user testing.
- Deep knowledge of web and mobile technical architecture and publishing tools.
- Strong understanding of measuring user behavior across digital platforms, and using those metrics to refine and define product features
- Deep understanding of online and mobile space, including consumption methods, user experiences, partners, platforms, and monetization approaches.
- Comfortable analyzing data and presenting to partners.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask.
This position will be remote through 2021 with potential relocation to Atlanta or Washington, DC in 2022.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.