Black News Channel is looking for a Director of Public Relations to strategize and implement publicity plans to generate positive consumer and trade press coverage of the Network’s programming. This position is critical to the success of the Network’s brand image, consumer awareness and viewership. The ideal candidate will be responsible for outreach to media organizations to highlight the Network’s programming, managing partnerships, responding to media requests, and supporting speaking engagements, staff media appearances, and other day-to-day PR needs. The Director will join a small communications team and as such, will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of these responsibilities, as well as the strategy. Our ideal candidate is someone with proven PR experience who is passionate about News Broadcasting that serves the public interest & the African-American experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute PR campaigns for major projects/series, including crafting story angles and pitches targeted to diverse national, local and industry-specific media outlets in support of BNC’s goals.
- Pitch online, TV, radio, and print publications; strengthen and grow new and existing media relationships across various mediums and channels.
- Assist in the organization of speaking engagements, panels, screenings, and other events as applicable.
- Develop talking points, press releases, press lists and other materials as needed.
- Support newsroom in identifying potential collaboration opportunities or media partners.
- Work with editorial leaders to communicate publication goals, strategy, and culture to press.
- Pitch trade press stories that highlight important innovations, milestones, initiatives, and product launches.
- Respond to in-bound media requests on behalf of the organization.
- Manage external contractors to prepare award submissions.
- Manage online press site to keep lists of partners and awards up to date.
- Work closely with Production & Design teams to manage creative assets for press purposes.
- Manage in-bound requests for content licensing.
- Support external partners with questions about BNC collaboration with media partners.
Requirements & Skills:
- 5+ years experience in public relations or marketing roles, including at least some for a Cable News or National/Local Network preferred.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable news judgment and experience vetting/verifying information on deadline
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and environment
- Strong team player with a desire to collaborate with others
- Strong organizational and time management skills
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, Genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.