As a key member of the Black News Channel digital content team, the Director of Social Media will lead the network’s content efforts across all social media platforms. This position is responsible for developing, refining, and measuring the effectiveness of the social media content strategy for the network as well as overseeing its execution. The ideal candidate will be a news junkie that lives and breathes social media and has experience programming social platforms for a major news organization or media company. Reporting to the Senior Director of Digital Content, you will develop and execute BNC’s editorial approach on social media with a focus on engagement and audience growth.
- Lead and execute content strategy and growth efforts on social media platforms.
- Manage a team of Social Media Managers; Coordinators and creating clear processes and operations for the team.
- Lead social audience development, which will include setting and achieving key growth and engagement milestones.
- Direct pitch meetings to optimize content and setting the posting schedule across multiple social media channels.
- Stay current on changes to the social media landscape, industry platform updates, and new techniques in consumer-facing social media opportunities.
- Analyze competitive landscape to create informed social strategy plans and content roll-out strategies.
- Analyze performance data and innovating the social strategy to optimize and grow performance metrics.
- Administer all third-party and internal social media tools and content management systems.
- Direct the creative and operations of all editorial social media content.
- Partner with sales and marketing teams to create content supportive of their efforts.
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content.
This position will be remote through 2021 with potential relocation to Atlanta or Washington, DC in 2022.
- 3-5 years of social media experience with a proven track record of increasing audience growth and engagement.
- Broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture, and sports.
- Expertise in publishing content for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
- Experience working at a rapid pace in a deadline-driven, breaking news environment.
- Superior news judgment, research, and fact-checking expertise.
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends. Experience using social measurement tools and platforms required.
- Knowledge of online news production systems along with social newsgathering tools.
- An eye for emerging media trends and technologies.
- Strong managerial skills and the ability to uphold an environment of learning, growth, and mentorship within a growing team.
- A player/coach mentality who can think big picture while still getting your hands dirty.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.