Producer, Documentary/Investigation and Syndicated Programming
Overview & Responsibilities
BNC is seeking a Documentary Producer to pitch, develop, produce and project manage original, engaging special reports, half-hour and one-hour stories for our documentary and investigation unit. The producer will also support the needs of BNC’s Syndicated Programming department. We’re looking for a proven journalist who also has experience in documentary television and/or filmmaking, with a track record of producing compelling, provocative, and intelligent stories.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Research, pitch, field produce, outline, and script documentaries
- Direct field DP
- Report to BNC Executive Producer and collaborate with executive and programming staff during all phases of pitching, production, and post
- Complete media management and organizational tasks associated with the production
- Coordinate and schedule productions, including booking travel, hotels, transportation, and submitting expense reports
- Coordinate deliverables after the documentary are complete, including but not limited to: digital assets for BNC Marketing, music clearance for BNC Music, and releases for BNC Legal
- Producing projects from start to finish
- Support the day to day needs of the documentary and investigation unit along with the needs of the syndicated programming department
- Project manage productions produced by BNC contract producers and editors
- 5+ years of experience in video journalism or documentary production
- Solid understanding of journalism standards of attention to editorial detail and story balance as well as the appropriate use of audio & video edits.
- Skilled in building narratives through visual storytelling
- Highly organized, with excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and remain deadline-oriented
- Strong time management and ability to juggle multiple projects
- Creative problem solver
- Strong writing
- A passion for bringing news stories and cultural topics to life
- Experience with both hosted and non-hosted formats is a plus
- High-level understanding of non-linear editing, pro cameras, lighting, and sound
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated and is the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is also a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse. The network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to BNC’s overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the Black News Channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and/or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or VP of Human Resources.