The Black News Channel is looking for a graphic designer to support our digital products and social platforms. The ideal candidate is a strategic problem solver and understands the role design plays in visually communicating news and storylines, informing our audience, and marketing our content. The position requires strong creative skills with the ability to create compelling graphics to contribute to our mission of providing intelligent content that is informative, inspiring, and empowering to our African American audience. You’ll be responsible for developing, designing, and executing a variety of static and motion graphics projects from concept through production across digital channels and platforms. Our candidate will be someone who embraces social media and knows how to consistently engage with today’s digital and social audiences.
- Work with Senior Director of Digital Content to establish design templates and systems.
- Create rich social posts for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and TikTok.
- Produce graphics, key art, and imagery for our web site and YouTube channel.
- Partner with content producers and editors to support video content.
- Ensure all content is “on brand” and follows the BNC style guides.
- Create various templates for text, transitions, and other ultra-creative graphic needs for video editors.
- Help the social team by building frames for multiple video formats.
- Take on projects from concept through completion.
- Resource, create or work with provided photography, video, and illustration assets in order to complete creative production.
- Deliver exceptional work on time; take feedback and develop inspiring alternative solutions.
- Display a positive, team-building work attitude without ego.
- Be an industry expert; live and breathe design and digital culture.
- Translate creative direction, art direction, and design comps into exceptional dynamic assets.
- 3-5 years of graphic design for digital platforms.
- BA/BFA in Graphic Design, or another design-related field that can include video content design.
- Must have mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects).
- Accustom to the speed of daily design production for the internet.
- Must be tapped into news, current events, and emerging social media trends.
- Skilled at designing for mobile formats.
- Proficiency in typography, image manipulation, layout, hierarchy, and branding.
- Strong communication skills; capable of articulating and justifying creative decisions.
- Ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines and handle unforeseen situations.
- Familiarity with publishing and editorial calendars.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.