Black News Channel is looking for a proven, dedicated, and hardworking Segment Producer with strong control room experience and great editorial judgment. The Segment Producer will produce live segments for shows, including writing detailed and creative lead-ins, sharp questions, and identifying the strongest possible elements of the story. The ideal candidate will have the ability to assist in every aspect of segment production on the show from pitching to producing packets, pre-interviews, elements, and occasionally booking. Must have stellar communication skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Must multi-task and juggle multiple stories for regular and breaking-news programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and write content for live newscasts.
- Determine video, sound, and graphics that add value and style for assigned segments.
- Keep senior producers and the EP up to date with daily news development of assigned stories.
- Pitch story ideas.
- Video editing ability a plus.
- Provide backup assistance to line producer if necessary.
Requirements & Skills:
- Five years prior news producing experience and strong editorial skills.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Broadcasting, or a related field.
- High level of communication skills both written and verbal along with excellent news judgment.
- Experience with ENPS a plus.
- Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and copy-editing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several crews and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Must be available to work holidays, shifts that include nights, weekends, and overnights, and flexible with schedule to be available during breaking news.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated and is the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is also a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic and social discourse. The network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to BNC’s overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the Black News Channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and/or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or VP of Human Resources.