The Black News Channel, LLC (BNC) is looking for a Senior Director of Digital Content. The Senior Director of Digital Content leads digital content initiatives across BNC’s owned and operated platforms, as well as social platforms and video to grow audience and engagement. The ideal candidate will be a news junkie and have experience programming digital platforms for a major news organization. They will know what drives audiences to engage with content on desktop and mobile. The Senior Director of Digital Content will develop and execute a multiplatform publishing strategy focused on audience growth; is a skilled content expert driven by data to commission great content. You are a visionary news leader who understands news content and social engagement on multiple platforms and can lead to the future. Must be expert at leading a young team, training varying levels of digital/social competence to perform at the highest level, and implementing exceptional, engaging content on BNC digital properties. This includes, but is not limited to breaking news coverage, special project content, social media, text/email updates/alerts/contests as well as the support of sales and marketing initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute digital content strategy and growth efforts on digital platforms, including website, app, and social media; manage the digital content team.
- Direct production of digital news content (text, video, photos, and audio) to be published to our digital properties utilizing a CMS and other digital tools.
- Oversee the placement/curation of content on Blacknewschannel.com with a mix of breaking news, investigative reporting, in-depth features, opinion articles, and video.
- Oversee all network efforts in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Lead digital audience development, which will include setting and achieving key growth and engagement milestones.
- Develop workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across platforms and optimized for each screen.
- Use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results.
- Lead the content team in identifying new content initiatives and innovative technologies that help us reach and serve new audiences.
- Manage relationships with, pitch, and distribute stories to third-party distribution partners (e.g. Apple News, Smart News, Flipboard, etc.).
- Partner with sales and marketing teams to create content supportive of their efforts.
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover, and distribute content.
- Ensures production resources and expectations are clearly defined and communicated.
- Develop innovative approaches to improve newsroom systems for newsgathering.
- Identify daily stories that will impact the Black audience.
- Manage and schedule staff members.
- Foster a culture of teamwork, respect, and inclusion.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or equivalent experience in the field.
- 5+ years of digital content experience, including at least 1-2 years managing other digital journalists.
- Broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture, and sports.
- A deep understanding of SEO best practices.
- Must be comfortable collaborating in a creative but demanding environment under tight deadlines.
- Experience handling breaking news situations and the rapid pace of news.
- Knowledge of online CMS and news production systems along with social newsgathering tools.
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends. Experience using Google Analytics, Omniture, and Chartbeat required.
- An eye for emerging media trends and technologies.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to work weekends, overnights, and holidays.
This position will be remote through 2021 with potential relocation to Atlanta or Washington, DC in 2022.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.