Black News Channel is looking for a Senior Director of News Content to manage the daily newsgathering operation.
This person will oversee the daily editorial decisions and work alongside the Director of Live Programming to produce compelling programs on BNC’s multiple platforms. The right candidate will have a background in overseeing content and coverage of major breaking news, severe weather, politics, and other daily news content. The Director of News Content will oversee BNC’s national desk, all correspondents, and all news bureaus. This position will work with the Vice President of Content and assist the management team in developing strategy and tactics based on content research. This job reports to the Senior Vice President of News and Live Programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements the strategic mission and tactical operations of the Vice President of Live Programming and News Content.
- Possesses strong news judgment within legal and ethical guidelines.
- Familiar with interpreting Content research and developing plans based on research.
- Have the ability to set priorities, be a critical thinker, multi-tasker, and problem-solver.
- Meets daily with core content managers including digital to review resources, content, and coverage plans.
- Ensures production resources and expectations are clearly defined and communicated.
- Provides frequent feedback to correspondents, photographers, and bureau chiefs.
- Looks for innovative approaches to improve newsroom systems for newsgathering.
- Identifies daily stories that will impact the Black audience.
- Manages and schedules on-air staff members.
- Foster a culture of teamwork, respect, and inclusion.
- Perform other duties as assigned to drive the audience and fulfill the Network’s editorial and financial goals.
Requirements & Skills:
- Minimum 15 years of experience in newsgathering and/or news production.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a key news management role.
- B.A. degree or equivalent in areas such as Journalism & Communications, or related field.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.