We’re looking for a Social Media Manager that will support the execution of the Black News Channel’s social media strategy. The ideal candidate lives and breathes social media and has experience programming social platforms for a major news organization or media company. Reporting to the Director of Social Media, you will help develop and execute BNC’s editorial approach on social media with a focus on engagement and audience growth. You will post and engage on multiple social media platforms, understanding the power of copy and graphics to entice readers to engage with stories and videos. You must possess a savviness and ability to strategize and grow awareness, traffic, engagement and conversion. Must be passionate about news, storytelling and creating great content with consistency and timeliness. Understanding the culture and conventions of each social media platform and how best to engage with followers is crucial to this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create engaging content across BNC digital platforms that increase audience engagement, website/app traffic and drive viewership to BNC broadcasts
- Collaborate with internal partners to interpret project briefs and develop relevant concepts into content
- Support the development of social content calendars and handle daily publishing across a suite of social media platforms.
- Develop story pitches and present them for consideration
- Monitor and respond to community feedback to help grow fan bases and promptly respond to mentions, DM's, and other relevant conversations online
- Manage multiple projects with short deadlines
- Implement data tagging on all posts to support social BI efforts
- Work in a fast-paced environment exuding confidence, while being calm, motivating and a pleasure to work with
- Analyze performance data and innovating the social strategy to optimize and grow performance metrics
- Administer all third-party and internal social media tools and content management systems
- Partner with sales and marketing teams to create content supportive of their efforts
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in journalism, marketing or communications
- Minimum of 3+ years of relevant social media and news experience
- Excellent news judgment and eye for breaking stories and trends on social
- Professional experience creating and optimizing content for platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and Youtube
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Copywriting skills as well as an understanding of the brand tone of voice
- Experience building social media assets like gifs, images, and polls
- Basic photo and video editing skills
This position will be remote through 2021 with potential relocation to Atlanta or Washington, DC in 2022.
The Black News Channel (BNC) is an independent network that is minority-owned and operated, and the nation's only provider of 24/7 cable news programming, dedicated to covering the unique perspective of African American communities. BNC provides access to information and educational programming to meet the specific needs of this growing and dynamic community that is a major consumer of subscription television services. BNC delivers an authentic, new voice that represents African Americans in mainstream media and fosters political, economic, and social discourse; the network is one voice representing the many voices of African Americans. BNC's programming illuminates a truth about the unique challenges facing urban communities and helps close the "image gap" that exists today between the negative Black stereotypes perpetuated by mainstream media news and our enterprising African American communities.
It is the policy of The Black News Channel to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, The Black News Channel will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Employees and team members are expected to contribute to the overall team effort. Nothing in this job description restricts the black news channel, LLC, (BNC), or executive leadership's right two assigns or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All staff members are required to be familiar with changes in law, regulations, and procedures, as well as report all questionable accounting, potentially fraudulent activity, and or internal concerns to the attention of The Black News Channel LLC's General Manager or Director of Human Resources.